Cellulite is of cosmetic concern to women and is not associated with any health risks. Poor circulation of the lymph which carries waste products and toxins from the different tissues to the blood contributes to cellulite formation. There are many natural methods for getting rid of cellulite, herbs being one of them. Herbs are medicinal plants, used to strengthen weakened body systems and boost the body's own healing powers.
Here are some herbs that have been used in the treatment of cellulite removal:
1) Gotu kola is a herb with stimulant properties. It helps the body to produce substances that strengthen the collagen fibers and improve the circulation of blood. Gotu kola reduces and slows down the process of hardening of connective tissues below the skin surface. It strengthens the vein walls, thereby preventing damage and leaking veins. It improves the flexibility of the connective tissue. This in turn improves the skin tone and firmness. The extract of Gotu kola can be used in cream, supplement, and as mesotherapy injection forms for cellulite treatment.
2) Horse chestnut is a herb with anti-inflammatory properties. One of its components, Aescin, decreases the poresize of the capillary walls and improves their tone improving blood flow. This improvement in the tone of the capillaries under the skin reduces the appearance of the cellulite and smoothens the skin. This makes Aescin in the horse chestnut a valuable component in hand creams, lotions, and other cellulite products.
3) Grape seed extract reinforces the fibers of collagen, is an antioxidant and helps to maintain the elasticity of the blood vessels. It also contains flavonoids and tannings that strengthen the walls of small veins and lymphatic vessels – it improves circulation from the legs thereby preventing cellulite development.
4) Ginkgo biloba is a vasodilator which boosts circulation. It acts as an antioxidant and reduces the formation of damaging oxidized cholesterol on the vessels and thus helps in the smooth passage of blood.
5) Kelp with its high iodine content boosts the body's metabolism and helps to burn more calories. It also contains mucilage, a natural compound that prevents fluid retention. It is often used in cellulite treatment as body wraps.
6) Green tea is a plant extract that has antioxidant and blood thinning effects. One should have atleast one cup a day of green tea.
7) Some herbs like dandelion enhance the livers ability to break down waste products and toxins. It also aids the kidneys to filter blood of these waste products and toxins. Dandelion leaves can be added to salads or cooked like spinach. A cup of dandelion tea each day containing 50 Gms of fresh dandelion leaves to half a liter of water.
8) Sweet clover, sea-weed, lecithins, evening primrose oil, lemon, ivy barley, strawberry, algae etc are also some of the herbal methods to reduce cellulite and improve the skin texture in the affected areas. They are to be rubbed in the affected areas three to four times a day daily.
Herbal remedies help improve the flow of blood and tone the capillary walls under the skin surface improving improving the skin texture and reducing the cellulite.